Thursday 6 September 2012

Beetroot and Chickpea Dip

When I first went vegan I became absolutely obsessed with doritos and hummus. I'd never considered if either of them were vegan before so when I realised they were I ate them all the time.
I recently went to France to visit some friends, who all happened to be making the change to veganism and they had found their 'newly-vegan-food-obsession' in making dips and pate. I hadn't really tried making anything more than hummus in my life but now I don't know what I ever did without them. Seriously I blend almost anything up, spread it in a sandwich and call it pate.
Some are better than others.. I'll admit that.
So today Edinburgh is brewing a storm and I'm trapped indoors and forced by my own boredom to be domestic. Hence the dip I'm about to share with you..


Beetroot and Chickpea Dip


Ingredients:

1/2 can chickpeas
2 med beets, peeled, halved and boiled
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbs tahini
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
salt and pepper
a little water to mix
.
How to:

This is so silly easy that you'll be blending up everything in your cupboard soon too.
Now I used precooked beets, simply because I found them at the back of my cupboard and thought 'why the heck not?', but if you want to buy raw beets just peel and halve them and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
Then the rest of the recipe is simply this, chuck it all in the blender, blend until smooth, or keep it chunky, if that's what you're into. And you're done!
Beetroot is great because it has such a beautiful vibrant colour, feel free to play around with different spices, add herbs, just go crazy. No dip need ever be the same!



No comments:

Post a Comment