Monday 30 January 2012

Vegan beer served in a dead animal?



When I was in Barcelona I visited a great little restaurant and bar called CatBar. Quite a funky little place, great food, great beer. In fact... fantastic beer. 
Months later, I had almost completely forgotten about this beer until my friend took me out to a wee bar in Edinburgh called Brewdog. One sip and sweet, sweet memories of that night in Barcelona came floating back, that amazing feeling of sitting down to a full hearty meal and a cold beer without worrying what on earth was in it. Absolute bliss.
So I couldn't believe I'd been in Edinburgh for months and not realised not only that it was here, but that it was founded and brewed right here in Scotland.


I made a pledge to make it my local.


However all too soon the dream was ruined. It seems Brewdogs beers are more 'accidently vegan' than anything to do with ethics (which is usually fine by me, the dorito eating junkie), but when I found out about their beer 'The End of History', a 55% beer (still sounding pretty cool at this stage), with only 12 bottles made. Each of which... is stuffed inside a dead stoat or squirrel.



A vegan beer... Inside a dead animal.


Brewdog has replied that these animals are road kill, but does that really make it ok?
If someone went to a morgue and grabbed a couple of 'road-kill humans' and made them into a beer covers would that be considered ok? 


Even as I write this I can feel an angry response being read. But why can I not compare the two? To me, it is same. We are all earthlings and we need to treat each human and each animal with respect. 
I know I will be no longer supporting Brewdog with my hard earned pennies and I hope other people with carefully consider whether they want to either.


To end this blog on a happier note, go grab a Williams Bros, they're vegan and they're delicious.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38376048/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/its-percent-wrapped-roadkill-worlds-most-shocking-beer/#.TycrPFx168A

1 comment:

  1. After writing this blog, I've wondered if perhaps it is too harsh to completely boycott a company that is actually creating a vegan beer, but the lack of regret from their part and their disbelief that they have done any thing wrong, makes it hard to really want to support their business.

    ReplyDelete